Some of the best money saving hacks can be found in your own home – and they are so simple! Try these 8 tips to cut down on your monthly bills and save big bucks over the course of a year:
Update your light bulbs. Switching out traditional light bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs could save up to 80% on your electric bill. They cost a bit more, but they last 3 to 25 times longer!
- Unplug. Your electronics will continue to use energy when plugged in, even when they are turned off. Unplug your computer, chargers, and other small appliances when not in use. To simplify, plug everything into a power strip you can use as a master switch.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Programming your heating and cooling settings based on your schedule will cut your utility bills by $135 – $145 a year.
- Seal windows and doorways. Save an average of 15% on heating and cooling costs by sealing up cracks and adding proper insulation. Try caulk to fill cracks in windows and doorways. Insulated window shades, weather strips, or plastic film kits will also seal up openings.
Buy generic. Cut costs on items like food, toiletries, OTC meds, cleaning items, etc. by going generic and it could save you $50 – $500 a month.
- Wash your laundry in cold water. Most clothes will come out just as clean in cold water as they do in warm or hot. A hot wash and warm rinse costs about 60 cents per load, while a cold wash and rinse costs only 4 cents per load.
- Coupon codes! Before you purchase anything online, search for coupon codes. Sites like Retailmenot and Coupons.com have codes for almost any retailer out there.
- Run appliances at night. Do your laundry or run the dishwasher at night to avoid peak energy rates.